Mar 12

The Art Of The Written Word

Tag: art,wordsDonna B. @ 6:25 pm

Margaret Shepherd, artist, calligrapher, author, is trying to bring civilization back with the stroke of a pen.

Being essentially uncivilized myself, is anyone surprised that I hadn’t heard of her before now? Writing thank you notes fills me with dread and anxiety. I can count the number of personal letters I’ve written in my life on one hand easily. Complaint letters are my forte, but I’ve stopped writing them too.

I have been on the receiving end of notes and letters that thrill me when I picked them out of the mailbox, so that makes my not returning that joy even more egregious. I’m a bit ashamed of myself right now. Blogging and short emails make up for this not one bit.

Margaret Shepherd’s Amazon Page. You can view more of her calligraphy art (bigger images) at Neatorama. I’m especially fond of what I think of as the “childbirth series” at the bottom of that page. I found this artist thanks to a civilized man who writes The Fire Ant Gazette.

6 Responses to “The Art Of The Written Word”

1. Jim says:

That is amazing. It does put me to shame, I have written two letters in the last 10 years – and one of them was this week, to my grandson who is in boot camp at Great Lakes.
    I am a prolific emailer and enjoy blogging, so communication isn’t the problem. Dang computers, they are so bad and so good.
    On the bright side, with email, Facebook and Twitter I keep up with people that I would never write.
    Great post.

That is true of Facebook for me. I tried Twitter… hated it.

I’m not sure that I’m a great communicator in any medium. I censor myself far too much, I think. But maybe that’s because I don’t take the time to communicate personally… one on one. Then again the people I care most about, thus those I would write to, might get bored with “I love you” or “I think you are the greatest person in the world” or “I miss seeing you every day” or “I long to hear the sound of your voice” or…

well… you can see why I’m not good at this one on one stuff.

Anyone who would say to me “I long to hear the sound of your voice” has never heard the sound of my voice. (You’ve heard of “faces made for radio”? I have a voice made for magazines.)

haha CG… why don’t you give me a call sometime?

Fortunately, the video of my “appearance” on the local news seems to have vanished (I owe a certain Web editor big-time for that one), or I’d send you in that general direction.

In general, I sound like Mr. Ed trying to imitate Louis Armstrong.

6. Talina of Harvest of Daily Life says:

What a pretty cool idea! I love the one you show in your post. Very clever of her.