Jan 14

In Total Agreement

Tag: religion,stupidityDonna B. @ 2:43 pm

I am in total agreement with Robert Gibbs: Pat Robertson is utterly stupid.

“It never ceases to amaze, that in times of amazing human suffering, somebody says something that could be so utterly stupid,” Gibbs said. “But it, like clockwork, happens with some regularity.”

Robertson said:

Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. . . . They were under the heel of the French … and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, ‘We will serve you if you’ll get us free from the French.’

…citing that as the reason for “God’s punishment” of Haiti by way of┬áthe devastating earthquake.

I’m with Eric of Classical Values:

IMHO, it’s a hell of a way to sell religion, but there must be people who want God to be like that (a sort of great terrorist in the sky, if you will) or else they wouldn’t be buying.

Frankly, I question the sanity — and the Christianity — of Pat Robertson, and his supporters.

9 Responses to “In Total Agreement”

1. LittleSister says:

It doesn’t happen often, but we are in complete agreement here. Pat Robertson is utterly disgusting.

May he experience, for all eternity, every bit of the compassion he has wished upon those less fortunate than himself.

Oh my… you and I, and Gibbs are all in agreement? I need a drink :-)

3. gcotharn says:

Is Robertson becoming senile? Or, is this how he’s always been?

I first saw “The 700 Club” on TV in the early 70s and I would say this is the way he’s always been, but he’s much worse now.

5. Talina of Harvest of Daily Life says:

What a douche bag thing to say!

N remarked at work about how these huge natural disasters might be related to overpopulation and shared a native american belief: life is out of balance so the earth finds ways to balance it all out. People looked at him in shock to like he was happy all those people were hurt or killed…

A similar situation but not as douchy…

Personally, I can see no relationship between population and natural disasters, except without the population, the human death toll would naturally not be so large. But earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tsunamis… all these things happened when the human population was very small.

It’s like blaming the dinosaurs for the comet or whatever it was that killed them off.

BUT, as you say, to perceive the earth as a “goddess” acting in her own self-interest is still not as utterly stupid as Pat Robertson’s vengeful and unforgiving portrayal of God.

7. God says:

Someone needs to tell Pat Robertson that I work in “mysterious” ways, not infantile “cause and effect” ways.

I’ll forward that message to Pat right away… but I thought he had you on speed dial? Has he had the wrong number all these years? Oh my…

btw — have you read this:

9. LittleSister says: