Jun 29

Two Blogs That Have Cost Me Money

Tag: non-fictionDonna B. @ 9:15 pm

First is Gene Expression. Second is Assistant Village Idiot. And… I do not want my audience, however limited it may be, to think I disparage either for my monetary expenditure. I don’t call it a monetary loss┬ábecause it isn’t. Sure, my pocketbook suffers, but my knowledge grows beyond that cost. Result = gain.

Currently I am reading The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World, because it was recommended on Gene Expression. This follows several books I was introduced to by the Assistant Village Idiot by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Though I am susceptible to suggestions by those two bloggers, I cannot remember who/where I came across suggestions to From Dawn to Decadence: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life 1500 to the Present
or Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America (America: a Cultural History)
– both books that I refer to often.

Do you find it odd that I do not buy books from Instapundit’s or Althouse’s link? Why do you think that is so? Personally, I think it’s because they often recommend books they have not themselves read.

8 Responses to “Two Blogs That Have Cost Me Money”

1. Bryan says:

Did you ever find those books for me? You have very interesting (and good) taste in books. I can’t wait to see what you pick out for me next.

Yes, I did find them. I’ve got The 10,000 Year Explosion (evolution), The Ascent of Money, and The Class of 1846 waiting for you.

Or, more correctly, waiting for me to mail them to you :-)

Have you read The True Believer by Eric Hoffer?

I’d offer you Albion’s Seed, but I’m not sure I can let it and From Dawn to Decadence go at the same time! I’ll think on it.

3. razib says:

*albion’s seed* is one of my favorite books. *from dawn to decadence* also.

4. Assistant Village Idiot says:

Agreed on all books mentioned, as Barzun’s and Fisher’s books are favorites of mine as well. I have heard of Anthony’s book but not read it. The reviews at Amazon give me some sense of what it is. I tend to the Colin Renfrew Anatolian origin for Indo-European, though I was taught a version of the Pontic Steppe origin when I was at school many years ago. Marija Gimbutas was all the rage then, and Anthony seems to have kept the saner parts of her theories.

Barzun’s book is just so jam-packed full of information that I found myself reading some paragraphs two or three times just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I don’t mean that to sound like it’s difficult to read — it’s not. It’s that it’s interesting every time I read from it.

Oh, I am really having trouble with Horse, Wheels and Language because I’m trying to read it at my Dad’s house which is like Grand Central Station. I may have to put it off until I’m back home where I can have more than 10 minutes uninterrupted!

7. retriever says:

Am just starting the Horse book, and you are the fifth person who has recommended Albion’s Seed to me, so that next.

Albion’s Seed is… well, fascinating. I’m a genealogy junkie and it’s been an indispensable aid in reconstructing how my long-ago ancestors might have lived, as well as enlightening about how they might have thought about the life they lived.

My goal is to write a book for my granddaughter tracing her family from their arrivals in NY and VA. I want to write about the history of the times and places as well as printing a tree.

I’m trying to interest her paternal grandparents in doing something similar. When her ancestors on both sides are taken into consideration, she’s an extremely “American” girl — English, Scots-Irish, Dutch, French, Native American, and 20th C immigrant.