Feb 20

In A Honda Civic?

Tag: humor,legalities,sillinessDonna B. @ 2:11 am

Leadfoot is likely a genetic disorder found in most humans, though it’s precise location has not yet been documented. However, humans have much more information about the genetic code of a 1993 Honda Civic and it’s generally accepted that without unusual genetic alteration, you won’t clock one at 137 mph(via Drudge, via Althouse)

I once owned a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, a pretty red one. I’ll have to look through my photos, but I don’t remember one of the car. But I loved that car. 220 HP compared to the 160 HP of a 1993 Honda Civic.

If I remember correctly, the highest speed on the SHO’s odometer was 140 mph. (NOTE: My children and any law enforcement officers must stop reading at this point.) I never pegged it, but only fear stopped me. There’s a great stretch of I-49 where you can see a long long way and it ends in a very steep exit. When there were no other cars in sight, I would floorboard my little red SHO and let her go. I usually got to the exit at around 130 mph and chickened out. The car would definitely have gone faster.

My husband maybe got the car up a little faster racing (again on the then relatively deserted I-49), of all cars, a Hyundai Sonata. At that speed, it didn’t feel like the tires were actually in steady contact with the roadway. We were, um… flying. Anyway, he chickened out then too saying “Our income depends on my CDL and we can’t afford a ticket!” The SHO “felt” best and drove best at 90 mph. I don’t think a cop would ever have accepted that defense, but it was true!

The only reason I’m not still driving my little red SHO is because the AC went kaplooie. We live in Louisiana. The estimate for repairing the A/C was about $4000 which was absolutely frickin’ ridiculous. My Dad was about to trade in his 1993 Sedan Deville which carried about the same Blue Book value as my SHO, so we switched cars and he traded in the SHO.

I’d probably still be driving the 93 Cadillac if someone hadn’t t-boned it in 2003. I’d finally learned that if I wanted to pass someone in that underpowered V6 hulkmobile, it had to be downhill and downwind. It did get excellent gas mileage. It was also difficult to keep on the road because of the strange steering system. Yes, I could make a U-turn on a two lane highway without using both shoulders, but the “drift and float” was horrible.

With the insurance check in hand, I went used car shopping. I almost got a 1999 Audi, but researching maintenance costs made me doubt it’s utility. After shopping for two weeks, I settled on another Cadillac, but this 1998 model has a Northstar engine. Mmm… horsepower! I can pass! I can merge! Oh yeah, baby all that is worth it even if I do have to back up to turn around on a two lane highway. Sixty thousand miles later, I’m still pretty happy with it.

We haven’t bought a new vehicle since 1991 – an F150 with over 400,000 miles on and still running. But… for the first time in AGES, I want a new car – a 2010 Taurus SHO.  I want. Barack, Daddy, anyone?

9 Responses to “In A Honda Civic?”

I understand the SHO, kinda sorta. My own car is similarly configured: Infiniti I30, fwd, 3-liter V6, 227 hp. Its sweet spot is 80 to 95; it starts to get a little bit queasy as triple digits approach. (Speedo reads to 160, but the car runs out of breath by 130.) Replacing the A/C compressor in it, incidentally, ran $890.

There exists a story of someone in Scottsdale who was clocked at 147 in a Sonata, which seems just a hair high.

Yes, I think 147 is a bit high for a Sonata, on public roads, at least. I worked for a guy who got a new Corvette every two years and he took me for a ride. He got to about 110 in the downtown area on I-20 and merged onto I-49 without slowing down much. The SHO didn’t have that good of a suspension and could never have reached that speed in such a short run.

They called whatever happened to the AC in the SHO “black death” which is apparently something that happens only to Fords. Something about having to remove the engine, order parts from Mars, etc. I don’t remember the details, but I got huge outrageous estimates from two shops.

Thanks for dropping by!

3. Jeff says:

I’ve long since given up on the thoughts of getting a new car. We have a 2003 Trailblazer that is bought and paid for. There’s a 2001 Impala that is bought and paid for (recently wrecked by oldest daughter to the tune of $2k and then, apparently, she thought it would be a good idea to wash it with a kitchen sink brillo pad…), and a 1965 Mustang coupe that runs, but is a project. I’ve figured out that if I need my speed thing itched, I just go to an air show. If I bought a fast car, my daughters would wind up wrecking it. I’ll wait another decade before thoughts of a sexy Jaguar become more realistic.

Jags are nice and I used to think I wanted one. The idea of A/C in the trunk really appealed to me. The ice cream wouldn’t melt on the way home! You see, it’s really just utility I want, not a sexy speedy car :-)

My children were very fortunate in having their own vehicles, though not exactly the vehicles they might want. Now the youngest is 27 and I don’t have to worry about that anymore.

A brillo pad? Sounds like something my darling hubby might do.

5. Talina says:

Our newest car is a 1999 Nissan Maxima, it was a damn trooper and we can’t wait to have the engine replaced this summer so we can drive it to Indiana.

Once Tater is older and we are settled more we’re going to buy something newer and (hopefully) more efficient than the Nissan. It gets about 35 MPG so if we replace it what we buy will have to be better than that and also bigger to accommodate our growing family (aka our herd).

I want too… but know we can’t afford to have. :-(

From what I know (not much!) it’s going to be hard to beat 35 mpg AND get something bigger. Reliability becomes so much more important when you’re transporting a baby. If we get broke down on the side of the highway, my husband and I will be annoyed, cranky, and probably have a fight. But that’s minor compared to trying to care for an infant in the same situation.

7. amba says:

I’m salivating.

Amba, you are probably the only person reading this who truly understands.

9. Opining Online » I Love Cars says: