Nov 24

A Challenge!

Tag: History,legalities,ResponsibilityDonna B. @ 12:44 pm

If you haven’t read about it yet, Americans have failed civics. I specifically challenge my family to take this test. C’mon, it’s only fair! After all, the J.D.s beat the H.S. grads in Spades this weekend, so I challenge all my college graduate relatives to beat my H.S. score

Here’s the test link. There are only 33 questions, so it won’t take long.

Here’s what you’ve got to beat:

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 78.1%
Average score: 78.1%

I’m not telling which one I missed until I get your scores! I will say that it was a choice between two possibilities, and true to form, I chose the incorrect one.

Have fun! And you don’t have to be family to participate in my strange desire to be outscored.

12 Responses to “A Challenge!”

1. Bryan says:

29/33

Oh well, at least I’m better than the elected officials.

um. MUCH better!

In fact, I think your brains disqualify you from running for office.

4. Sissy Willis says:

32/33 I wonder whether you and I missed the same one? As Tuck said, I disagreed with their answer. :-)

5. RDB says:

Questions 27 and 33 remind me of Lee Atwater and push-polling.

I’m betting Sissy missed #30, which I answered correctly even if the answer wasn’t “right”. :-)

RDB… I know you don’t agree with the assertion in the question part of #27, but historical evidence proves you should consider changing your mind! But #33 only requires logical thinking and math, it’s a straightforward question.

I missed #7. I am ashamed i did not know the source was the Gettysburg Address.

7. RDB says:

33) If taxes equal government spending, then: A. government debt is zero B. printing money no longer causes inflation C. government is not helping anybody D. tax per person equals government spending per person E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent
    27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because: A. the price system utilizes more local knowledge of means and ends B. markets rely upon coercion, whereas government relies upon voluntary compliance with the law C. more tax revenue can be generated from free enterprise D. property rights and contracts are best enforced by the market system E. government planners are too cautious in spending taxpayers’ money
    T

8. RDB says:

33. Answer D is chilling. Robert Gates gets much better health care than most GI’s. So if answer D is true, then
    Christianity is dead. Progressive taxes are wrong. The only wisdom of Karl Marx is wrong. (From each, to each)
    Another problem with D is that “person” since 1898 or whatever includes a corporation in the U.S. Which was, even more
    than Dred Scott or Ferguson, the worst decision of the court ever. I would like to think that libertarions
    would like to strip personhood from corporations.

You are reading much more into answer D of #33 than is there. The average American will not consider corporations as person in considering this question, they will interpret it as individual. The average person will not conclude that because some individuals receive greater benefits from the government, the answer is wrong — the average person will think “averages” not politics.

10. RDB says:

I think it was 1878. Oliver Wendell Holmes (the first) wrote it. Oliver 2 wrote about how that one who
    is 10 has the right to contact to do about the same hours of work per day, unless he signed for 14 hours.
    Competition is great, wonderful. But one must factor in slave labor. Maquilladoras. Just about everything
    can be produced cheaper by cheap labor. But this is the ultimate question of the the universe that Henry Ford
    tried to answer. Who, after all, is gonna buy this crap when it is not edible?

So you would agree that progress has happened since 1878 and stop applying today’s standards to events and ideas of a different era? Or will you not have cranberry sauce tomorrow because it wasn’t on the menu of the Harvest festival in 1621?

12. Karen says:

28/33 84% I am amazed I did that well.